Power Cable Engineering
Dates and Infos
Description of the lecture
Power Cables play a major role for the transmission and distribution of electrical power in modern electrical grid structures. Depending on the specific case of application different cable system designs are needed. Considering changing requirements and following the technological progress various cable technologies have been developed during the last century.
The lecture Power Cable Engineering intends to give an overview of past and present power cable technologies, their production and application with a clear focus on modern polymer insulated cable systems. Typical cable designs for different voltage levels (LV, MV and HV/EHV) and different application areas are explained in detail. Also a closer look is taken at the production of paper and XLPE insulated high voltage cables using different manufacturing techniques. Furthermore, the construction and functionality of cable joints and terminations, which are necessary to complete a cable system, are discussed. Different electrical and mechanical testing procedures, which are applied to assess the product quality and prove a proper system installation, are presented. Finally, all the different aspects that have to be considered during the planning of a high voltage cable line project, from design choice to rating calculations to the final construction, are summarized. The lecture closes with a description of methods to realize high power cable systems using modified and extended conventional cables but as well innovative, new and unconventional technologies, like HVDC links and superconducting cables, which are expected to be of increasing importance in the future.
- Power Cables: technical/commercial environment, market structures,
- History, technical standards, Power Cables in grids
- Materials and components in Power Cables: requirements, functionalities
- Power Cable designs : low-/medium-/high-voltage, special cables, paper/plastic insulation
- Production: conductor, insulation system, serving, technologies, plants
- Quality Management: management systems, definition, planning/assurance, testing
- Power Cable accessories: terminations, joints, technology, design, installation
- Cable projects: planning, cable rating, design, realization
- High Power Cable Systems: loss management, forced cooling, DC, superconductivity
None. An appropriate knowledge of the fundamentals in Electrical Engineering is assumed.
After successful participation in the module course students have gained detailed knowledge about the technology of power cables. They are able to explain typical cable designs (LV, MV, HV, EHV) in detail, including the construction and functionality of the corresponding cable accessories. The students know the different manufacturing techniques and the methods of quality assurance in the frame of a quality management system according ISO 9000.With the gained knowledge the students are able to retrace the basic project planning steps for a power cable line construction.
Announced in the lecture