Transmission Grid Planning and Operation
The team’s main research focus is the operation and long-term development of the High Voltage and Extra High Voltage Grid in Europe facing ongoing structural changes of the energy system.
Hence, the team develops methods and tools to model the operation of the electrical transmission grid as well as to identify and assess grid expansion and reinforcement measures. Additionally, the interaction between the localization of intermittent generation and the utilization of the transmission grid is analysed and evaluated
Besides multiple academic test cases, the team has developed a model of the high voltage and extra high voltage grid in Germany and Europe to test and validate the tools and methods, to address a wide range of research issues.
Main research topics
- Identification and assessment of robust transmission grid structures for future energy systems
- Analysis and assessment of system security of future transmission grids
- Development and modelling of innovative control strategies for future transmission grids
- Simulation of the operation of the electrical transmission grid
- Further development of a model of the European electrical high and extra high voltage grid